Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Latter Days

Watched Latter Days tonight. A gay film with a Mormon and a pretty boy as lead. And it's just great!

It has this lightness and innocence, and sweetness in it but still manages to raise sensitive questions: does homosexuality have a (good) place in religion? Is it wrong to be gay? Can God forgive gay people?

The line that struck me was "God can forgive us for what we have done, but not for what we are." "Are" here referring to being gay.

As a Catholic, I've been taught that it is wrong to be gay. We have the biblical story of Sodom and Gomora, of how the people were punished. But we also have stories of a compassionate and loving and forgiving God.

These conflicting ideas have confused me for years. And they continue to do so.

I wonder, when will I learn the truth? Or has the truth already been taught to me, and I'm just too dense to believe and understand?

No comments: